Host a public conversation that transforms our approach to life.
Our current initiative, Reimagine End of Life, is a community-wide exploration of death and celebration of life through creativity and conversation. Drawing on the arts, spirituality, healthcare, and design, we create week-long festivals in cities across the U.S. that break down taboos and bring diverse communities together in wonder, preparation, and remembrance. We are seeking a Community Engagement & Inclusion Manager to help us fulfill our vision of creating a society where we all reflect on why we’re here, prepare for a time when we won’t be, and live fully right up until the end.
Reimagine is on a rapid growth trajectory. Inspired by OpenIDEO’s “End of Life Challenge,” Reimagine End of Life was prototyped in 2016 as part of an OpenIDEO project examining the role of art and end of life. That first iteration highlighted 30 events in San Francisco across one week and attracted 2,000 attendees. In 2018, in its inaugural year as a separate non-profit organization, Reimagine End of Life took place in San Francisco and New York featuring over 525 events and almost 19,000 attendees.
Reimagine aims to expand its event-based model with festivals in San Francisco this October 24 - November 3, and again in New York in spring of 2020, with plans to grow to over five cities by 2021. Meanwhile, Reimagine is exploring a nationwide content strategy to create ongoing community dialogue between festivals.
Death is a universal experience, and we want our Reimagine festivals to be as inclusive as possible, especially for those who are often left out of this conversation. We’re committed to maintaining a focus on vulnerable, underserved populations and fostering a new, shared understanding about the language and approach(es) that respectfully make this topic safe to discuss across different communities and cultures.
The Program Coordinator is a temporary and contract position (mid/late July to November 15; ~30 hours/week). You will work closely with the co-producers of the San Francisco Reimagine festival. Your central role will be to support and at times lead, the program development and logistics for events and special projects that the Reimagine team is producing. In addition, you will support collaborators who are hosting events across San Francisco and the Bay Area, as well as conduct targeted outreach to potential collaborators to fill gaps in our programming. This position will also provide customer service to people attending Reimagine events.
It is critical that the Program Coordinator be a skilled event planner with excellent communication, programming, and logistical skills. This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Critical Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Act as a main point of contact for a portion of event hosts to answer questions and serve their specific needs, escalating to SF festival producers, when necessary
- Support the program development and logistics of Reimagine-produced events
- Act as liaison between Reimagine team and the external production team for all logistics-related projects
- Manage event hosts’ web listings
- Provide customer service to Reimagine attendees
- Help market events to different communities throughout the city
- Assist SF producers with additional related projects
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a programming role at a mission-driven organization, non-profit, or city agency
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to coordinate programs across a wide range of different types of communities/constituents
- Ease of use of workplace apps including Slack, Gsuite, Google apps, Salesforce, Mailchimp, and similar tools
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Passion for end-of-life space
- Thrives in a startup environment with a growth mindset
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation with the ability to work independently toward goals and to steadily monitor and report progress
- Collaborative approach and sensitivity to the needs of others in complex team environments that engage supervisors, volunteers, and colleagues at the national and regional levels
- Attention to information sharing and open communication
- Empathetic, humble, and kind
- Highly organized
- Level-headed and calm demeanor
- Creative problem solver
- Flexible, ability to respond to the unexpected with grace and strategy
Please send applications and cover letter to Hiring Manager at email@example.com.